Friday 26 June 2009

keeping up with the brits' version of thursday night drinks...

This thursday, I was staying at work a little later than usual when my team leader asked me if I wanted to join a few of them for after-work drinks.  Not having much else on my social calendar, I agreed and off we went a little while later to a nearby pub.  

In my mind, I was going to have one pint, then head home and cook whatever was on the menu of my weekly food planner.  Yes, I do realize that having a food planner is slightly geeky and neurotic, however, with food being as expensive as it is, I have to plan out my meals and groceries on an excel spreadsheet so that I don't end up buying a bunch of crap and throwing it out when it rots in my fridge.  I'm not at the level of cooking where I can just look in my fridge and pantry and throw together a meal.  Combine that with the fact that my fridge and pantry are in a very sad stage of emptiness... 

But I digress... back to thursday night...5 drinks and a handful of nachos for dinner later, I'm noticeably slurring my words and stumbling a bit to the bathroom.  My colleagues on the other hand seem fresh and completely sober... 

I'm happy to report that I did not puke on my team leader, nor did I reveal anything too embarrassing about myself (to my knowledge)... and it might just be me, but all of the sudden, my co-workers seem friendlier.  Could it be that beer brings people together?  

Next week's food planner will include bringing a large(r) lunch on Thursday, as well as many snacks, as a precaution against another night of debauchery.  One can never be too prepared for these things - wish me luck... 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Irene,
    I thought British beer was watery??? How can you get wasted on 5 watery beers......you need to eat carbs man!!!! Sorry but after 25 years of making rice with Terry's family I have finally mastered the finger thing. It consists of yelling at the pot of mushy rice when it has finished cooking and holding your middle finger while yelling profanities....But Terry suggests making congee out of it instead....

    Hope you are well and look forward to spending some time with you when you return!!!

    Sincerely,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete