Monday 17 May 2010

chocolate cures all

I've been on a cooking kick.

I think it's partly due to my procrastination from other parts of my life, but lately, I've been doing quite a bit of cooking.

After a particularly harrowing day at work, I decided to try my hand at the classic British concoction called 'Fridge Cake'. I'd never heard of this until moving to London, and it's a treat that one of my co-workers sometimes brought into the office.

So I looked up a recipe from Britain's beloved Jamie Oliver, and stopped by the local Sainsbury's to buy the essential ingredients.

Making Chocolate Fridge Cake is my new way of de-stressing...keep reading and you'll find out why.

Ingredients
- 200g of chocolate
- 150g of unsalted butter, cubed into 1 inch pieces approx
- 8-10 Digestive biscuits
- a bag of dried fruit and nut trail mix
- 1 tablespoon of honey







Step One:

Put the biscuits into a ziplock bag, seal it and proceed to batter it with a blunt object. Try not to get too 'Office Space' style on it, you still want some good-sized cookie chunks in there


Step Two:

Add a handful or so of the fruit and nut mixture to the ziplock bag and set it aside.

Step Three:

Set a heat-proof bowl on top of a pot of simmering water and add the chocolate and butter in stages, melting and stirring until it's all gone.

Typically it goes something like this:
- Add a few chunks of butter and some pieces
- Stare off into space and stir
- Eat a piece of chocolate, then add some into mixture with butter
- Stir absently until done





Step Four:

Take the bowl off the pot and add in the mixture from the ziplock bag. If it seems too dry, don't add the entire contents of the bag, you can always save it for another fridge cake concoction.

Step Five:

Pour the mixture into a grease-paper lined tin and press down so that it settles into the tin

Step Six:

Put into the fridge overnight and cut into slices to enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment