Monday 14 September 2009

chicken noodle soup for the needy soul

I woke up yesterday morning with a terrible cold. The kind that makes you want to stay in bed all day in your pjs, watching old Audrey Hepburn movies and with a box of kleenex close by. (which is exactly what I did)

Unfortunately the medication I took made me sleep all day, which meant I didn't sleep at all last night. Decided this morning when my alarm went off at 6:30 that there was no way I could make it into work. One of the perks of working as an unpaid intern is that it's not a huge deal if you call in sick.

After sending my manager a text, I rolled over and went back to sleep for a few more hours. I woke up much later, with the sunlight streaming into my bedroom and was feeling much better. Yes, I was still a little stuffed up, but I didn't feel like being cooped up my room all day.

Now, yesterday when I went shopping for cold medication, I also bought some other cold fighting essentials... cough drops, OJ, ginger ale... but there was one item I couldn't find. Chicken noodle soup... just inhaling the steam from that soup helps me on my way to being cured.

This morning I decided to make some.

I did a search on the Food Network website, and after discarding a few recipes that instructed me to roast a whole chicken first (who has time for that when they're sick and hungry?) I found this one - the Monday to Friday chicken noodle soup. Just the name said 'hey, this is easy, no frills chicken soup that won't take too much time!'

I never really follow recipes completely, and I like to add some of my own ingredients as I see fit. This one was pretty simple already, so I just added some extra veggies (frozen and fresh) and played around with the amount of water. I found that it was pretty thick and not soupy enough near the end, so I added a bit more water to get more broth.

The only mistake I made was adding salt near the end without tasting first. The broth was a little too salty for my liking, but I figure when I heat up the rest I'll just add more water to dilute it a bit. I have enough left over for lunch tomorrow and dinner another night this week. Hopefully this cold won't last that long.

xo








No comments:

Post a Comment